Jason and I made it to the hospital at around 6:15 monday morning. The nurses got us settled, monitors and whatnot. I got my IV started around 7 am. I wasn't too happy with where she put it as it was too close to my wrist and caught a lot when I moved. But she got it on the first try so I guess I should count myself lucky. Pitocin was started at 7:15, and Dr. Nichols broke my water at 7:30. At that point I was already dilated to 5 cm. I started feeling some pretty hard contractions around 8:15 am and had my epidural placed around 8:30. He did a great job and I barely felt it. It kicked in pretty quickly and I was numb from the waist down. By about 10:45 am I was feeling some pretty significant pressure and Jason went and got the nurses. I had been checked a few times and at last check was 9 cm. So, the nurses didn't even check me. They just began set up and got Dr. Nichols. I started pushing at 3 minutes 'til 11 and after 4 sets of pushing through contractions Andrew was born. I did have a small episiotomy after the 3rd push which evidentally was what I needed as he popped right out next round!
He cried immediately and they roughly cleaned him off and put him on my chest. It was such a special moment. Jason got to go take some pictures and look at him while Dr. Nichols finished with me. We hung out in the labor and delivery unit until around 2 pm when I was able to feel my legs enough to somewhat stumble to the bathroom.
That pretty much sums it up. Andrew nursed well from the beginning and we went home Wednesday after lunch. He was circumcised Wednesday morning and I must say that is the roughest thing about having a boy. Trying to clean up a meconium poop with flailing legs while trying to put vaseline gauze on the little man is quite difficult. I'm glad it's healed so I don't have to do that anymore!!
Since being home there have been a few accomplishments...
I successfully nursed Andrew while getting Allie onto the big girl potty (she doesn't like to poop on her little potty), wipe her, wash her hands and get her the hershey kiss for being such a big girl...and Andrew never broke stride!!
I have made it through two days flying solo and they both went off fairly well. The first day was a breeze. Today Allie woke up at 6:30 am and was cranky, but other than that, it went well. Allie slept for 4 hours which means I got to take a 2 hour nap, nurse Andrew, shower, put away clothes, pick up the house a little, write thank you notes and start this blog post. Pretty successful if you as me!!
I have not had to cook yet (yeah meal team!), but I think that will be my next challenge.
Ok, more pictures to come later. But, we are doing well. Allison is adjusting and Jason and I are feeling blessed by this new amazing life!
Valerie
4 comments:
But you left out the part about whether or not those were tears I thought I saw in your eyes in that pic of you holding Andrew for the first time. Such a beautiful moment. I hope I get that with this next one since with Anna it was a full 45 minutes after her birth when I first held her. It was magical but not quite the same I imagine.
Congratulations again. Your mom is spending the night here tonight so she was able to see your blog and your facebook and Kara's facebook. Lots of fun.
You have a beautiful family.
Valerie, you are amazing. I remember so well with having Lori, nursing her and trying to get Lisa on the potty and chasing down a hearing impaired 4 yr old. What memories your word picture brought back to me. You made it sound so easy and I KNOW IT IS NOT!!!!! Lol
You go girl. XOXOXOXO to your babies!
Val, you are an amazing mother in so many ways! Way to go on your delivery! You make it sound so easy! You also make it sound like a piece of cake adding a second child to your family. You are awesome! I hope that my baby cooperates that well with the labor and then nursing right after! Miss you all! XOXO
Post a Comment