Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ain't life grand...

So, Allie had a diaper rash that started last week. It was a strange rash, mostly just a small area right round her bottom. So, I've been putting diaper cream on it and watching it. Well, by this morning, she has started saying, "my bottom owie!" and just crying crocodile tears. I looked more carefully at it, and her bottom was starting to look excoriated (meaning her skin was opening/flaking in areas). She woke up this morning really early, and was extremely fussy. I know that something kids can get is an infection called rectal strep. It's the same bacteria that causes strep throat, except that it can travel the GI system and exit the rear, infecting the bottom. This didn't really look like that, except I didn't know what else to do so I took her to the pediatrician. Summer gave us some prescription strength diaper cream that I've been using the rest of the day (as it wasn't rectal strep), but she is in so much pain. When she woke up from her nap she was running a 103 temp and incredibly irritable. She wouldn't let me sit down, except after about 30 minutes I had to sit. I just cannot carry her that long anymore. Her fever finally broke after some ibuprofen, but it was a horrible day. She didn't sleep long, and she was so irritable. It's terrible when your child is in pain or upset about something you cannot help. There is nothing more I can do about her bottom. It's just going to take some time to heal. I don't have an explanation for her fever...she has no other symptoms, she's just miserable...hence we're all miserable! I find myself getting irritated with her after so long. 

Anyway, enough of the rash talk...everything else is alright. We are all tired. Jason has been working long hours and I had clinical Monday and Tuesday with class Tuesday night. We are all just worn out. 

Here's to hoping bottoms heal quickly!!

Valerie

No comments: