Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Nothing much to say

We're surviving here. I went to the farm on Monday with Allie to visit mom and Leah/kids. It was fun, although Allison and Harrison are very much into the "MINE," no "MINE!!!" stage. They get along great until you introduce some unbelievably amazing toy that neither of them can live without...like a white golf ball!! I know, pretty unbelievable!!

Otherwise, life is busy as ever. Allie is napping right now so I have some time to myself. Haven't had much of that lately. Katherine and I took the girls to the zoo this morning. Naturally we left the camera so we don't have anything but memories to show for it...oh and the fat lip Allie got when she tried to go down the slide on her own like a big girl. I really thought she'd be ok. I let her go and I was just going to catch her...but she started the slide right side up, but by the time she got to me I had heard a loud thud and she was careening towards me face first. She had a bloody mouth, but didn't really cry. I got her cleaned up and then the two of us went down the slide together so that I could show her that when we fall, we get back up. She really did like that slide!!

We ate lunch here. Grilled cheese for the little girls and PBJ for the big girls. I had made some pasta salad that Katherine and I were eating. Katherine put some on Anna's tray and she just picked it up and put it in her mouth. I put some on Allie's tray and she said "no," and proceeded to pick up each piece and put them in my hand, close my hand, and then say, "go." Katherine validated a point I have thinking about for a while...I used to think that picky eaters were that way because someone had allowed them to be. Maybe the mom didn't offer healthy food, or just gave in to the child. I am learning that is not the case...some kids are picky because they just are. Allie wouldn't even try a bite of the pasta. She just took one look at it and said "no." There's not much else I can do other than keep offering. Some days I'm better about it than others. I will say that offering a kid something 10 days in a row with them not eating it wastes a lot of food and wears me out. It's easier to make some chicken nuggets and easy mac!! And, there's always Wendy's on the days when I'm feeling particularly weary...without fail she will eat fries!!

So, school is ok. I had an assignment due last night that I put a lot of time into but it didn't seem to turn out well. Maybe it was because all 8 of us had to present our findings and I went last. I was fried and I think everyone else was too. I think the semester will end up ok...I'm just realizing that I need to spend more time on my studies if I'm going to come out of this with the ability to actually diagnose and treat children. I know that sounds profound!! It's just hard to pay attention sometimes when there is so much going on.

Ok, ok, I titled this nothing much to say and just wrote a novel. I'll post pictures later. I'm going to try and get something done!!

~V~

No comments: