This is the premise behind the trip to Chicago. My good friend Katherine is an Australian citizen. Her mom is an Aussie and her dad is from Lawrence. Katherine spent her time growing up between Australia and Lawrence, KS. Because she is an Australian citizen, her daughter, Anna, qualifies for citizenship as well. So, Dylan and Katherine started the long process of citizenship for Anna after she was born 4 months ago. The Krugers are traveling to Australia in December and started the Australian passport process for Anna. They obtained her American one and have been perservering to get the Australian one. Long, long, long story short, to complete the process Katherine needed to travel with Anna to the Australian consulate in Chicago for a face-to-face interview. I had mentioned months earlier that I would like to go...a road trip sounded like fun. So, on Tuesday morning, we set off.
Let me first say that it is amazing how much stuff needs to be packed for two children for three nights and four days away from home. Let me just run down the list.
1. 2 pack 'n plays
2. 2 strollers
3. 2 baby bjorns
3. 1 portable high chair
4. 4 diaper bags (one that stays in the car and one that can be toted around)
5. 2 bags (one for Katherine and I)
6. road snacks
7. two small lunch bags to store all the food for Allison (Katherine is lucky that all she needed was herself!)
8. 2 bags from Katherine's mom to be given to her sister Suzy at Wheaton
All of this was shoved into the trunk, floor and back seat of Katherine's Camry. I am absolutely amazed that it all fit. I must say that I am a world class packer!! We left Tuesday morning at the time of Allison's first nap. We made it an our outside KC before Anna announced that she had not had enough to eat. So, we took a quick break on a side road off of I-70, got Anna fed, and headed on to St. Louis.
We arrived late afternoon and met up with Sarah, a friend of ours from KC who just moved outside St. Louis. We spent an hour or so walking around the St. Louis zoo where the only
We then were told by a portly man on a golf cart that the zoo closed 1/2 an hour ago and that we needed to leave.
We spent the night at Jason's mom and dad's and took off the next morning about 9:00. I had developed a nasty head cold, and I have to tell you, Wednesday morning was not the best for
We continued on to Aurora, which is about 45 minutes from Wheaton where we stayed with Katherine's friend Jen and her husband. The next morning we decided to let Allison take her first nap there and catch the 12:20 train into Chicago for the 2:00 appointment. Well, Jen underestimated the time that it took to get the the train station, and after 3o minutes of driving and we still weren't there, we resigned ourself to the fact that we would have to drive in downtown Chicago. We pulled over and mapped out a course and took off. I must say that this was a tense moment, but we handled it very well. We knew that God was in control and that He had a plan for our trip. We told ourselves all the reasons why maybe this was a good thing. We even drew out a plan that involved me dropping Katherine off to let her make a run for it while I circled the block.
We did great until we hit the city limits. This is where hwy 290 splits into three different names, none of which were on the map we had. Turns out we should have taken the Loop route. After backtracking we were headed in the right direction looking for Wacker drive. What kind of a name is Wacker anyway. Well, before we knew it, the signs say "Upper Wacker" and "Lower Wacker." All we knew is that we needed North W
The man who helped us was very nice and laid back. He took all four of us back to a room where there were actually toys for Allison. He briefly interviewed Katherine and I (since I was the guarantor) and called Dylan. It was over in 20 minutes. The only word for the whole experience was ANTICLIMACTIC!! I guess that's what we needed after all we went through to get there.
I truly did enjoy my time with Katherine. It was fun to learn more about each other and hear stories about family and our times growing up. We spent time talking about or faith and what motivates us in life. All-in-all I would say that it was a fun trip. Anna did cry occasionally in her car seat, but truly, it wasn't as bad as Katherine makes out. Allison did awesome I must say. We put these girls through so much, but Allison showed a very laid back side of herself and pretty much rolled with whatever. That was such a relief to me. But, we're home and we're safe and we're trying to get caught up on sleep. It was a success!!
6 comments:
Valerie, whew! I can't imagine tackling Chicago traffic with 2 little ones in the car. Bravo to you both. I got tired reading this so guess I'll hit the sack. :-) So glad you are home and safe. Love, Aunt Joyce
Wow, you read this right after I posted it. Check the Edgiger spot tomorrow. I posted some pictures there too!
Whew - that much traveling with one child is exhausting. Not to mention two young ones. Glad to hear that your little spit fire fared so well. :+) It was great to see you. Keep enjoying your cute little girl!
You make a great road trip traveling companion! I'm glad you included details in your account that I left out, particularly the last paragraph. Our chats made the hours of driving fly by, or at least some of them. I have only one correction to make. You really think Dylan helped with the paperwork? Oh wait, he did send a fax for me once. ;) You gotta love him.
I'm tired reading it. What a blessing to have good friends to share these things with!
You left out the part about Dylan's amazing mapquest-aided save-the-day directions on getting you guys into Chicago. If it weren't for me, you'd probably be in Canada right now.
Post a Comment