Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Food...

So we're trying out some different concoctions to get some adequate nutrition down this kid. The thickener we're using is called Simply Thick. It's a gel, and counts as a liquid, so when it's added to thin foods, it thickens, but also adds fluids. That's great, considering Andrew has never been much of a drinker.

He drinks thickened milk with Carnation Instant Breakfast. Technically, when concentrated completely, this is complete nutrition. Course, he would need to drink 32 oz of the stuff, and we're no where near that. I think he got in about 20 oz of milk, plus several smoothies. We've tried V8 Fusion with the thickener, and he loved it last night, but wouldn't drink it today.

Smoothy mixes (thickener added):
Greek yogurt with fruit
Whole milk, peanut butter and banana
Pureed carrots with black beans and cottage cheese (gross sounding, but nutritious, and he eats it...)

Solids:
NutraGrain bars
Puffs
...and that's it...

We're getting there. My mom mentioned something that has been brewing in my head for the last day. What if we didn't do a g-tube? I'm trying not to let that get to stuck in my head, because I saw the swallow study, and it was bad. And I'm not saying I wouldn't want it if it was indicated. But what if we could just work with the purees and OT to retrain him to eat.

We have our appointment with GI next Wednesday at 10am. It seems like a long time in the future, but since the breaks have been put on anyway, why rush.

We'll keep you updated.

Valerie

1 comment:

Joyce said...

I'm thinking you all are going to get very good at coming up with "concoctions" that he will be able to eat. Your mom has a thought. Guess it's wait and see until next Wed. Hang in there. You have a precious family.