Friday, August 13, 2010

Upper GI

Andrew and I went to CMH downtown for his upper GI this morning. Of course he couldn't eat anything before, and they had us check in 30 minutes before our appointment. If you know anything about me, it's that I can't be late. So, of course, I got there 15 minutes earlier than needed, and we waited in the waiting room for 45 minutes. It was fine, until Andrew discovered his food in the diaper bag and had a complete melt down. Oops.

The upper GI consisted of Andrew being strapped down to a rotating board in nothing but his diaper. His arms had to be tied down, held above his head, with a big strap over his forehead. I'm glad that I've had to strap kids down like this before, because it didn't surprise me, and I was even able to help contain him. Of course he screamed the entire time, and by the time we were done, he was covered in sweat. Poor kid. I can't imagine what all of this would be like for a parent who has no medical background. Goodness...

The tech had to put the fluid in his mouth by syringe since he wouldn't drink. It was flavored and thickened. He swallowed plenty, and the radiologist got some good pics. It took about 10 minutes, which is pretty quick. They followed the barium down his esophagus, into his stomach and then watched his stomach empty. Everything looked great. No inflammation. No cysts, fistulas, deformities, evidence of reflux...nothing. This is wonderful news! Sort of...it also means that we are no closer to a reason as to why Andrew is aspirating. He didn't show any evidence of aspirating on this exam. The barium was thickened to the consistency that he drinks, but he was laying flat on his back and screaming the whole time. I would have thought if he was going to aspirate, he would have done it. This is the most exciting news for me. I'm getting the feeling that this g-tube really may not happen. Oh...if this the case...I can't tell you how happy I would be!!!

We went home, went to a play date (thanks for lunch Katie!), and then hunkered down for a three hour nap...both of us! This is a new kind of tired for me. I'm not getting a whole lot of sleep lately (mostly due to the boot camp I'm doing at the gym at 5am...crazy...), but this is different. I just feel drained.

Jason is at class today and tomorrow. My mom and dad are both coming tonight to watch the kids in the morning. I am just amazed at the amount of help and support we have had. Next week will get off to a rough start. We have a scope at 7:15am downtown followed by our 24 hour pH study. We will be transferred to South for that, which is really nice. I will stay Monday night, but go to work Tuesday morning. I have 4 meals being delivered next week. A lady that has a small catering business on the side (Domestic Diva). A wonderful Christian woman who is a good friend of Allie's preschool teacher. The mom's at Allie's preschool went in and bought 4 catered meals. 2 will be delivered Tuesday and 2 delivered Thursday. I am so excited! What a blessing!!

We'll keep you updated as we hear anything. Keep praying!

Valerie

2 comments:

Alli Jean said...

Glad you have such supportive church and friends. It certainly helps. I pray that the determine what the cause of his problems are and/or better yet, that the problem will just vanish. Mysteries are not mysteries to our Lord.

Joyce said...

How wonderful that you are getting support and meals. That is fantastic. I pray that the g tube is not necessary. Alli is right, musteries are not mysteries to Him.