Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

I just finished reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for the second time last night. I have certain books that I have loved over the years, but rarely do I end up rereading them. I'm so glad that I read this again. Especially now that I have a daughter. I cannot explain to you how rich this book is. It centers the life of Francine Nolan who grew up in the early 1900's in Brooklyn, New York. They have no money...zero. But they make it through. Her mother is an amazing portrayal of someone who wants better for her children than herself. She values education most of all, and works her fingers to the bone to make sure that they get that education. Francie's father is a drunk, but a loveable man. His is a tragic story but you can't help but love him. Francie sees the world through different eyes. She finds beauty in everything she sees, and feels everything deeper than most. This is an unbelievable story, and I would recommend it to anyone. It is a quick read, and you will fall in love with Francie. It is written in 1943 by Betty Smith who lived around the same time as her character, so it is an old book. This is most definitely on of my favorites!!


Also, just can't resist. Here's a cute video of Allie playing with the new Hallmark Christmas singing trio. She loved it!


Valerie

5 comments:

From the Dotte said...

Love, love, love the video. We are playing on Thurs. at the indoor playgroup at Sylvester Powell Comm. Center. 0930-1130. Maybe will see you there.

From the Dotte said...

I mean, "maybe we'll see you there."

Alli Jean said...

Okay, that book is on my reading list! Thanks

chellie said...

Val,

I agree that book is the BEST! Glad you guys had a Happy Thanksgiving.. Ali looks so cute.. Shelby has her hair in a fountain too like ali's. Don't you love it when all the cousins are together and playing! I know you parents had a quiet Thanksgiving.. but Christmas will be fun with all of you there. Hope to see you sometime over the holidays. I will be at mom's at some point.. Hopefully we can see each other at the farm or in KC???

Hang in there with school!

Chellie

Joyce said...

I want to get that toy for the kids to play with at my house. It is adorable but Alli is just too cute. Can't believe she is 1 either. Where does the time go. Be sure to visit the Whitehead blog as I have posted new pictures of our family activities around Thanksgiving. Hope to see you during the holidays. Love, Aunt Joyce