Thursday, August 9, 2012

Summer vacation to Breckenridge

Wow, so this was a while ago!

Headed to Colorado Springs a few weeks back and stayed with Jason's brother Mark for a couple nights. There weren't many picture opportunities on the front end as we really didn't do much. Just tried to catch up on rest (we got in at 2 am), and keep the kids occupied as Mark doesn't exactly have a lot of toys in his bachelor pad!

We headed to Breckenridge on a Saturday morning. The weather was so nice and the kids were anxious to be entertained.

We went hiking that afternoon and learned early on that Andrew does not really like to walk long distances. Oh, he can, and if he's entertained he endures...but he'd rather be carried.

Starting out!



Lots of rocks being found, sticks digging in the dirt, climbing on fallen trees and looking at the scenery. 



Are there squirrels in there?


King and Queen of the Tree Trunk!!


Allison and I climbed up over the top of a small "mountain" on the mountain. She was determined not to stop. "Come on mom! We have to make it to the top!" We got as high as I was going to go and I was able to convince her that we were indeed on top. She loved it!




I loved this picture of Allison looking out at the mountain. It was awe-inspiring!



Family pictures were a little difficult...


Finally a good one :)




Isaac did really well. Only crashed at the very end.


Baking cookies one night at the condo. Can you tell how thrilled Andrew was to take pictures? He would holler, "NO" every time I told him to smile.



We spent a lot of time walking around downtown Breckenridge. It was fun, the kids found things to do. We threw a few rocks, and Isaac just chilled in the stroller!




Watching an orchestra practice.



A little park in the middle of town. 






There was a free gondola ride to the top of the mountain in Breck. The kids though it was pretty great. It stopped three times at different stations, and as it would pick up speed, they would yell out, "Here comes the fast part!" We rode it 3 or 4 times throughout our visit. 





We spent the late morning in Dillon which is a town about 20 minutes from Breck. There's a really pretty lake there with a fun rock beach and the kids could have stayed there all day. 




This one cracks me up. Jason was trying to teach Allison how to skip a rock. This is her stance. Ha!











Isaac turned 8 months on our trip. I have done a good job of at least taking a few pictures of him at each month milestone, but did not get around to posting an 8 month update. I'll combine that with his 9 month coming up. He was probably the super star of the trip. Very rarely fussy. Ate pretty good, slept well, and was really tolerant of us keeping him up past naps and out late. What a fun baby!








At the end of the week we bought tickets for a family fun park at the top of the mountain (where the gondola took us). It wasn't cheap, but there was so much to do we really couldn't pass it up. The kids had a blast. Pony rides, trampolines, alpine slide, panning for gold, and a further chair lift up to the tippy top. What a great day!








I'm not a big fan of heights, and especially when you're not buckled in. I was really nervous on our chair lift and spent the whole time holding the kids back from the edge. How can they allow children on these things!!??





Mark joined us again late Friday night and brought his new girl friend with him. I liked Amanda immediately! She's a pediatric nurse, finds the same things annoying that I do, and fits right in with the kids. What's not to like!! We took the gondola back to the Fun Park and just bought tickets to take the chair lift up to the top and hike.







Fierce bears, can you tell?


After packing up Friday late afternoon, we headed back to Colorado Springs. We spent Sunday at the zoo. The best part?? Feeding the giraffes. Awesome!!




This little guy was only 2 weeks old!






Andrew showing off his abs to the orangutan!






We headed back Sunday afternoon and arrived home around 1 am. Wow...tired...

We had a good time, but I will say that vacationing with kids is not nearly as relaxing as vacationing without them. But, we made memories and got away from the Kansas heat so I will say it was a success. Since we've been back we have not stopped moving. I feel like every day is full with preschool, swimming, Allison's gymnastics, short trips to the farm, visits from grandparents and the list goes on. More updates to come!

No comments: