Thursday, April 26, 2012

Where we are at

It's difficult to describe all that is happening in our lives right now, but for the sake of posterity and sharing my life with whoever reads this - here goes.

Allison is starting kindergarten in the fall. We have settled on her going to the public school across the street. For some time we debated sending her to a private school focusing on the classical education model, but after time has gone on, we feel that the public school system is where we're supposed to be. She's ready - I'm nervous. She is doing amazing in preschool. Reading, writing words, numbers, math, counting money, telling time...but I can't help but be afraid for her precious heart. I was desperately insecure as a child and it is my greatest fear for my children. So, if there is ever a time that our children seem too self-assured, or come across as know-it-alls - well, that's ok with me. There is plenty of time for the world to "put them in their place." Right now I want them to know that they are perfect just the way God made them. She is starting swimming lessons in a few weeks, is doing gymnastics one evening a week and is playing on a soccer team for the next few weeks. She's pretty decent at soccer. For this being her first experience she seems to have a pretty good instinct for what to do and she's quick (just like her momma' used to be!). She's still in preschool 3 days a week and will continue that through the summer.

Andrew is working on pooping in the potty. That pretty much sums up about everything that needs to be said about him! Well, not really, but it does consume a lot of our efforts. He will stay dry forever and hasn't had a pee accident in nearly a month. Pooping is another story. He'll be three next month and I know that he's not particularly late, but I'd really like to send him to preschool in August and we can't if he can't figure the toilet training thing out. Other than that - he's really livening up!! He reminds us of a little energizer bunny. It's like a switch went off inside of him a few months back and he hasn't stopped since. He loves to dance, run around like crazy (literally) and loves make believe. The dude has a crazy imagination. He's talking all the time. He'll tell us the funniest stories. At night, you can give him 2-3 animals and he will put them together in a short story for you. It's great! He loves music! He sings at the top of his lungs at the most inappropriate times. Many times he seems aloof. Wandering wherever he pleases with no apparent regard for where his parents are. I swear he would go home with a complete stranger. Needless to say he keeps us on our toes!!

Isaac is 5 months now. I'll post pictures soon. He still wakes up once, sometimes twice a night. I'm still nursing exclusively, but plan on introducing more bottles very soon so that I can be a little less attached to him come summer. We'll see how that goes! He's rolling onto his tummy all the time now, but he can't get himself back over. He screeches until someone flips him back over only to do it all again. He loves to sit up in his high chair and be part of the action. He's almost always happy as long as he's being attended to. If he's left alone for too long - watch out! Oh, and his favorite activity as of late? Blowing out his diapers...yep! All the way up to his neck many times. Ah, the amount of laundry I do is just stupid...just plain stupid... He's a decently big boy. Roughly 75-80th% for height and weight. He's got the best smile and all his hair is growing back in. It will be time for another haircut shortly!

Me? Well I'm still working every other Saturday morning. It's good for now, but at some point I am thinking I need to get back into it. I'm losing a bit of my skills and critical thinking. I need a way to do some continuing education that's not some boring medical journal to read. I'm partnering with some ladies at church to get the vacation bible school decorations going. That's taking a good amount of time. I'm doing BSF (bible study fellowship) one morning a week, and otherwise volunteering a lot to make food for various things. When I read my paragraph, it doesn't seem like a lot, but being the primary caretaker for 3 children day in and day out can be quite exhausting. I'm not a sentimental mother, and I find parenting to be quite tedious many days. Right now my children are all trying me in various ways. It's a struggle many days just to talk in my "inside voice." I'm a yeller. I don't want to be, and I'm working on it, praying about it, and doing deep breathing exercises (you laugh, but really...). My mom was a yeller (God love her) and my dad had a bit of a temper at times (yes, even dad). It's hard work, and I'm tired, but somehow I manage to shower most days and keep everyone fed and relatively happy. Well, mostly happy...ok, sometimes happy. Alright, so happy isn't what we're going for here! We're all alive!!

Jason...hmmm...I should probably have him write this. There's so much he's involved in I don't even know where to start. He's a new elder at church which has taken a bit of his time, but he is committed to our church and willing to go wherever God leads. He is serving on a school board for a charter school downtown called KIPP. He's soon to be the vice-chairman (if he isn't already...I can't remember, sorry honey!). It's an amazing program and I encourage any of you to look into it. He is passionate about kids and the education system and wants to help and be involved in any way he can. He is still working at Cerner (or for my Children's Mercy friends...the dark side). Work has picked up a bit and he's finding himself with a lot of emails to answer! He's doing a staff development program there that is taking time out of his work day which means there are evenings he needs to bring stuff home with him. There are various other organizations he's been meeting with and helping out, but there really are too many to go into detail. He's a busy man, but daily he is searching out what it is God wants him to do and who He wants him to be. He's a wonderful leader in our home and church and I'm so grateful for all he does.

Together - we go to small group at church twice a month and help lead a Sunday morning adult education class. We're doing a book called Radical in small group (way challenging) and a Timothy Keller study on Sunday mornings (he's a great author. I'd recommend anything by him). We are going to Colorado in July for a much needed family vacation. I can't wait! Vacations aren't quite as restful with children, but we'll be staying in a two bedroom condo and I can't think of anything better than not having to clean a house while we get to enjoy the great outdoors!!

One more thing...we are in the beginning stages of pursuing adopting a little girl from Taiwan. The more we look into it, the more we realize we have a lot to do. Typical sequence of events...get our paperwork in (including a small scrap book of our family), get our home study done, wait for a child to be placed (2-6 months after completing the process), then wait to bring her home (another 6-8 months after placement). So, this is by no means something that is happening tomorrow, and it's possible it won't happen at all. But Jason and I both have a burden for the girls in Asia. Jason is half Chinese, and his mother just finished publishing a book on international adoption. So, I figure we're up for the challenge. We will follow where God leads in this. It's overwhelming to think about some days, but I have to remember that there is nothing He will call us to do that He will not also provide the strength to accomplish it.

Whew...I'm tired. The boys are both napping. I probably should as well. But, I've made it this far into the afternoon. Might as well have a soda and keep plugging away at my to do list!

Valerie

1 comment:

Mark Froelich said...

Oh, one more thing...

I think they call that burying the lead in Journalism ;)

You guys will have to fill me in the on the details for that one sometime.