Friday, April 13, 2012

Easter

I know I've shared this before, but growing up, dad would gently wake us on Easter morning and say, "Valerie, He is risen!" I would get so excited! We would all pile in the back of the pick up and head to a pasture somewhere to watch the sun rise and listen as dad told about the first Easter. We would sing songs and do communion, then eat a Giger traditional breakfast of hard boiled eggs (that had been dyed of course), apple muffins and orange juice. Then it was back to the house for an egg hunt.

In the 13 years Jason and I have been together, we have never done this. He has missed out! This year, we were on the farm and the kids were old enough to get something out of it. It didn't hurt that my uber sentimental sister was also there - she got the ball rolling!!

Up at around 6:40 am and out to the deck at my parents house that conveniently faces East.

It was cold...frosty cold!
Andrew was NOT going to put his socks on or let me cover his legs with a bigger blanket. So, he sat shivering for the whole thing. I ended up holding him - which helped!


All bundled up with mommy after the sun peeked over the hills.

Harrison and Allison chose to stay outside for a while...

All of about 5 minutes!


Ben and Jason hid eggs while dad fed cattle. Heath and Andrew got first dibs. They each got 16 eggs and stopped when they filled their quota. Fun times!!






I love this picture!
Comparing egg counts while the cows check them out!





Of course Easter is fun, but like any Christian tradition - the whole point is to remember the death and resurrection of Christ! I feel like I try to explain it to the kids, but I know that as time goes on they will begin to understand the importance of this holiday - and I pray that it becomes deeply personal to them as it is for Jason and I.

No comments: