Friday, August 23, 2013

Farm in June

We all know that over the years our family has spent a lot of time on the farm. If we want to see my family, we pretty much have to go to them as Ben and dad can't really leave the cows (much to their chagrin many days...). The farm is their life, and unlike most occupations, it never gets left at the office. 

We headed down in June to visit over Rodeo weekend. I was determined to fill it with as much fun stuff as possible. I think it was a success.


This house...
I never appreciated it as a child. Many times was embarrassed of it's age. But Ben and Leah (mostly Leah) have made it so beautiful, and it makes me sad that I never grasped it's beauty as a child.


Ben has helped build a rock wall at the entry of the driveway. This huge limestone rock is just too fun to climb on!


Another limestone rock that they have placed their cattle brand on. Yes, people still brand cattle just like in the old days. 


To say Isaac loves dogs is an understatement. He adores them. Mostly he likes to sit on them. Sam is a very, very compliant dog. He laid there like a couch while Isaac climbed, rode and rolled all over him. 





There are untold treasures buried in the gravel roads!


Keeping Isaac busy while the big kids were away was not that hard. A big bowl of water, some cups, and a pot of flowers. Tell him to water it, and he thinks it's great!



Papa loves his grandkids. 

Like, a lot!


I took a ridiculous amount of pictures this weekend. Here is Harrison, Allison and Henry posing for just one of many.


And now an irritated Allison that is "so over it."


The kids were helping Leah and I put cages around the tomatoes.  They were great help!


Reading before bed time. They really do love each other.

Rodeo weekend. The town I was raised in is called Elmdale. It is a little dot in the middle of the country, and the closest town is Strong City. It's twin city is Cottonwood Falls (which is where my grade school and high school were). Strong City hosts a pro-rodeo competition every June. It's someone of a big deal for our neck of the woods, and it makes for a big weekend. Everyone comes!

Saturday of Rodeo weekend, there is a parade. At this point, we had already gone to the rodeo (pics below) but I felt this explained the sequence of the Rodeo better. Saturday, everyone lines up along the route from Cottonwood to the Strong City rodeo grounds. In past years, it seemed more elaborate. This year it seemed a little lame, but I'm not sure if that's just because I haven't really been to one since I was a kid. Seeing things through adult eyes is never quite as fun.

Random floats go by throwing candy to the kids lining the streets. Safety is many times an issue!!



Andrew was hot and tired, and just sat down to let his cousins bring him some candy!

We found a spot outside the steps of the famous Chase County Courthouse (oldest courthouse this side of the Mississippi!!) There is a big cannon that sits on the lawn. I can't remember the significance, but it sure is fun to play on!!




Then comes the rodeo. We had actually gone Thursday night which was family night. Lots of kids go that night (opening night) and I think the crowd is a little cleaner (language and drink - not appearance). Plus, kids get in free and they were handing out YooHoo chocolate milk! Score!!


Getting into his "cowboy costume." We don't have cowboy boots - so we borrowed some from the boy cousins!


They had a stick horse race for the kids. Fun! They also got to keep the stick horses. I think we still have them around here somewhere!


The pictures of Allison racing weren't that great. I'm still figuring out my camera and the lighting was really weird.


And of course each kid wore their hat from grammy and papa. Have to have a cowboy hat at the rodeo. Pretty much required!!


Heath's face kills me!


Leah's sister, Olivia also came and brought her three kids. From the left is Andrew, Ellie, Allison and Heath. Those three older kids are all in the same grade and just a few months apart in age.

It was a fun night. From Andrew throwing his hat over the fence and a friend hopping over to get it, to first funnel cakes and calf scrambles. I could post a million photos, but I've already made a photo book for the kids, and there really just isn't any need!!

The rest of the weekend was spent hanging outdoors...


Feeding chickens in fabulous pink cowboy boots...


...watching cows...


...swinging on the tire swing (while the macho Harrison pushes)...


...and of course having a bonfire to roast s'mores!


Mmm!


Enjoying just the graham cracker and chocolate (doesn't like marshmallows!!)...
and still wearing the fabulous pink cowboy boots!


Heath and Isaac role played riding a bucking bronco (again...Sam rules)


Aww...


Andrew and Papa having a heart-to-heart!

The last fun thing we did was to hang out by the creek (crick if you're from the country!). My dad and brother have some farm ground not far from our house that has this amazing creek that runs through it. I would go there as a kid with my family and swim, throw rocks, and picnic. Some really great memories of this place. I really wanted my kids to go - and for some reason, we never have taken them. Now that they're a little older, it's easier on all of us. 


Catching frogs with daddy. Those little suckers are fast!



Isaac WOULD NOT stay out of the water. And because there is a current and he frequently falls, one of us had to go with him. We took turns :)


The older kids were still a little scared, as they have never really swam in lake or creek water. Can you believe that! How have we missed this!! They had to get used to water that moved, and not being able to see the bottom!


When it was all said and done, we started a fire, roasted hot dogs, and had a regular picnic. Unfortunately, Isaac still thought he needed to kill himself by diving head first into the water every chance he got. He earned himself a spot in the back of the pick-up so he couldn't escape!

It truly was a great weekend. I was exhausted by the time it was over - but the kids still talk about it. We have only been back one other time this whole summer, and we probably won't be able to go until sometime in September...making it one of the longest times we have gone without visiting the farm. We know that as the kids get older, this will be harder and harder to do with activities, but oh how I feel at home there. I still call it "going home" to the kids and they get confused. "But mom, this is home here." Well, it is and it isn't. The farm will always be my first home, and I never feel so comfortable and safe as I do there. 

No comments: