Friday, May 9, 2008

Hair grows...right?

So, I took Allison to get her hair cut today. It was just time. Well, I do not have the words to describe how I'm feeling right now. I hated the hair cut that the lady gave Allison. Granted, she wouldn't hold still and she did the best she could, but the sides were uneven and the back looked a little like a mullet. So, I tried to fix it. That resulted in the one side being even shorter than the other. I obsessed until I finally took her outside with a comb and scissors and went after it. When it was all said and done, it was even, but really short. Well, I couldn't stop there. The top was in a pony so I pulled that down to "even it up." Needless to say, my daughter now has a boy hair cut and unless I keep it up in the pony or put a barrette in it, she looks a little ridiculous. I keep telling myself, "she doesn't know the difference," and, "hair grows...it will be good for summer." But the truth is, I am struggling with the fact that I butchered her hair and now she doesn't even look like my little girl anymore. I know she's the same kid, but when I look at her she just seems so different. I hate it. I didn't think I would be this attached to her hair, and I've had friends and family tell me I needed to just leave it long. But it was really stringy and getting so uneven and looked so disheveled all the time I thought a cut would be a good idea. Well, $17 for a hair cut that I redid and I did a poor job.

This is Allie getting ready to get it cut. She was not liking the gown they tried to put around her so we cut it without any cover.




Her face just says it all. She really didn't like it. She was also a little tire as it was getting close to nap time.


Can you tell that the left side is way shorter than the right? This was after I tried to fix it.

And this is the finished product. It is so short. My neighbor said that with her still having bangs she looks like a girl, but I just couldn't help myself. I just kept cutting. Well, what are you going to do. Hair grows...right?

10 comments:

From the Dotte said...

Hey Val, yes it is shorter than before, but I still think she looks cuter than a bug. In a week it will grow out just enough that she will have the cutest little bob haircut. I actually like it. It reminds me of a Suri/Katie Holmes haircut.

Libbi said...

She is still very cute and your right....hair grows. Kaylee is 4 and she still doesn't do well with cuts. I still need to post some current picts of their new cuts! Your first experience sounds just like my first and second with Kaylee!

Little Smiths said...

I don't think she looks like a boy! That's what M's looked like after I had it cut too. I think it's fine! I do remember feeling much the same way though. There's something about cutting it for the first time that's attached to a sense of loss...

Kara said...

HA! It's ok big sister. It's small potatoes in the grand scheme. Take plenty of pictures to embarass her in later life! it's ok..

Anonymous said...

So bummed that Allie's hair didn't turn out the way that you wanted it to. But, everyone else is right. She is adorable - really. People still call Jonathan a girl and he has SHORT hair and I dress him in blue and stripes. It's OK to get emotional about these things - we are the mommies and we feel what we feel.

Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, she is still cute as can be! Hey at least you can still pull some of it up, and afterall it will grow back:)

We are inducing on Wed, so be sure to check the blog for pics of Miss Kinsley:)

Tiffany said...

Everybody's said it. Don't you remember when I stopped by after Kaitlin's first cut? It felt dreadful, but as I've learned each cut - as difficult and questionable as they each are - are mere steps to getting all that hair grown in and in place. She'll get there...be glad, soon enough you'll be dealing with tangles and wish it weren't such a big deal. I think it looks cuter than the disheveledness. ;)

katherine said...

Allison could never look like a boy. I bet it will grow faster than you think. At least your kid has hair. =)

Alli Jean said...

Val....I think it looks fine....and thicker! I think it will grow back thicker and more even and you'll be happy in the end!!!
She's a cutie.

Joyce said...

Valerie, Kara is right. You will get plenty of comments from her when she is in her teens. My girls would say, "Mom what were you thinking"? By the way, I read your blog and had this mental picture of a poor little waif with incredibly shaggy hair....well, she is adorable and the cut is fine. I don't think you could do anything to make her NOT look so darned cute.